Tuesday 23 September 2014

The annual horticultural show

Something I thought might have died out - but no! Alive and going very strong in my childhood town of Wimborne, Dorset, and I hope elsewhere.
My recent trip back coincided with the show so I decided to find out if things had changed much since I had included my Begonia Rex in the show, hoping its glossy leaves and happy disposition might have won me something (back in about 1975).
The years fell away as I entered the hall; nothing had changed, except me. The same curtains, winners' cups, cakes, jam, scary giant blooms and onions, each balanced lovingly on a white paper cardboard pedestal.
I did feel there had been perhaps less enthusiasm in the children's art section - sign of the times, perhaps - sound of old git sighing - me.
Here are a few of the splendiferous edibles and non-edibles on display.












Biggest marrow, longest runner bean, most perfect rose . . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment