Wednesday 27 September 2023

The loneliness of the long distance crowd funder.

Well, not loneliness really as I'm working with several lovely and talented people but it's mainly my project so I have to do a lot of the asking.... I find it difficult. Very. 

Every silent response to an email is worrying, a silence where there would normally be a friendly response; every observed but ignored text message further possible proof that people find this sort of cap-in-hand thing distasteful? or embarrassing? After a few moral-boosting conversations with friends this morning I have returned to thinking of the process in the way I had done before - a way of promoting art that everyone can share by giving a small amount of money, as small as they want - there's no minimal amount apart from 0. 

I've been collaborating with our narrator on the Londonia project for some months now and as its a mountain of work for him - and too much for us to pay for - it seemed like a great idea - a beautifully produced audiobook that people can listen to for free on his Youtube channel, plus genuinely thought about rewards for those who wish to support us. 

Anyway, so far, pretty good. Some wonderful folk have pressed the backer button; people I know who have encouraged and helped me over the years on this weird, almost profitless and vertiginous route of writing, and others that I don't know but just like the idea of the project. 

I hope it works out. It should do, and if you are one of our backers reading this - thank you! Happy future listening!

http://kck.st/3EN4hAP

The Londonia to Audiobook team:

Me, author - doing a bit of renovation. Steven Red-Fox Garnett - narrator. Mark Lockett, composer. Chaz Lockett (Jake the Prophet) project manager, and Sophie, editor.


   

     







No comments:

Post a Comment