Tuesday 16 October 2012

Building number 6


Hey, I've just found out how to make pictures bigger on the blog. Wooopeeee.

I got lost in Toulouse yesterday after spending too long aimlessly wandering in IKEA looking for . . .  actually, I wasn't looking for anything. I had gone to collect Alvin from the airport, but got caught in the IKEA spectrum laser field that they cast over the interchange where you can choose to go to Bordeaux or Foix. I will never get to Bordeaux even if I wanted to as I am always overcome by a sudden idea that our bedlinen must be looking a little grey, or that one can never be happy with only four scatter cushions.
In the restaurant, I declined the reindeer balls, or whatever they are, and chose some odd chicken thing. The red drink was quite fun however, and I wrote a whole chapter involving something a tad cheeky so it was worth going to the blue and yellow cube after all.
Afterwards, I got lost, and ended up on a road full of shops called 'Carpet Mania' or they would have been in the UK. In the distance I could see a group of sleek clouds, strangely close to the ground. As I got nearer my brain informed me that they were, in fact, buildings.
I love architecture like this. How totally fabulous it must be to draw it out on the back of a fag packet, 'Hmm, this looks good, think I might work on this a bit - wonder if anyone would ever go for it. Then fast forward a few thousand meetings, yellow diggers, a million tons of concrete, glass, lots of sellotape and suddenly there it is, or there they are in this case - weird and beautiful pods. Alien eggs surrounded by carefully landscaped grounds.
I was so excited that I drove up and down for about twenty minutes trying to work out how to get in to the grounds so I could take photos. I couldn't frame the magnificent entrance area as I would have to have stopped in the middle of a dual carriageway. This was the best I could do. It's not really pink; I got carried away with the adjustment sliders on iPhoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment