Monday, 24 August 2026

C'est pas mon truc . . .

It's not my thing.

One of the more 'bof' - Gallic shrug - reactions to my exposition of paintings. I also had a comment yesterday that they should be more colourful. This is odd as most people have walked in and started back at the colourfulness of everything. Maybe it was time to get an eye test? or perhaps he shared the vision of the average dog - a rather grey spectrum according to the last research I read about this subject.




                                                              two not very colourful paintings

The vernissage (private view) went very well; lots of people, masterly improv music from Mark and Jérôme, wine from NOZ - I have blogged about Noz before - bizarre shop full of everything from dog chews to pants to baked beans to . . . wine, and often amazingly good wine; and since all my work is about recycling materials it seemed fitting to buy abandoned wine. And I sold enough paintings to make the whole event worthwhile. 

                                 Another fairly colourless painting underway in the gallery




Jérôme and Mark

So, two more days of sitting in that marvellous space wondering if the next person will be non-plussed or delighted by the work. I've had some fascinating visitors and some in depth conversations about environmental issues, recycled everything, my personal art process, and many questions about how long a painting takes - always challenging to answer.

I'd like to say thanks here to several people who made the event happen and happen in such a great way.

Mark - my partner in life and art, and jointly useless person at selling anything. He's been brilliant in all ways, and without him I certainly wouldn't have the art book we made before the expo.

Pierre, Hazel and Louise who were so generous with their time, and muscles, moving quantities of furniture and paintings into the space. we couldn't have done it without you!

And thanks to the Mairie of Saumur for letting us use this beautiful old chapel. What a space!

No comments:

Post a Comment