Banjo, drum kit - both electronic and 'real', electric and acoustic guitar, bass guitar, piano, keyboards, violin, mandolin, mini-synthesisers made out of recycled electronic components...vibraphone (might have happened if it hadn't been a rather too expensive musical experiment). All virtually self-taught to an impressively high level. For his very first instrument, the banjo, we signed him up for some online tuition from The Bluegrass Academy in Louisiana.
Our son's musical pursuits have always been fascinating, but the guitar has been the phase that has extended into permanency. Personally I was very sad when the violin ceased to be played but I understood the constraints - the need for a good teacher which was not possible at the time, the fact that he had started rather late, at twenty-five rather than five, and trying to find a local Irish band to join in rural France wasn't happening.
The guitar is always there, a quick tune, or not even and it's ready to go; perfect for composing, accompanying songs, or just noodling away on at a gathering or in the bedroom, compact, portable, and versatile.
When I met him yesterday there was talk of visiting the local guitar shop as he has been idly viewing a certain Gretsch model and was curious to see if it was in stock. I'm always up for a music shop trip so we went. It wasn't in stock but there was a very handsome and almost flashy orange and gold Gretsch which was not quite the one he wanted - possibly luckily as just under a thousand euros would have required some very serious justification . . . mind there's a fair amount of music related unused stuff that could be sold waiting in the garage or his old room should it become a reality.
I sat and watch him play with that parental joy that can only come from watching the fruition of a rather remarkable musical talent born of all the previous experimentation and development over the years.
I suspect he'll be ringing for a chat fairly soon about whether it should be the orange one, the blue or the olive green . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment