Monday 12 June 2023

Going forward with back catalogue

Or, slightly forwards and a bit sideways.

Being someone who doesn't overly trust this whole internet business, I decided a few days ago to self-publish my finished books, not to attempt to sell them online - I'm still naively confident that they will all at some point grace the shelves of lovely independent bookshops - but just to have words on paper between covers.

I haven't used Lulu publishing for a long time as Londonia was taken on and published in the traditional way. The site has changed dramatically! What used to take hours is now highly simplified and efficient, even for madame Luddite. I loaded up the last edited version of Smithi and a new copy of The 158th Book pressed, ok, do it, and forgot about the order until this morning when UPS delivered it.

Although the size of the book was not at all what I had anticipated, and I'd forgotten to put my name on the cover and spine - duh! the result was rather lovely. After flipping through it, I've realised that this was a very late edit and I should have printed the one before as a chunk had been taken out on the agent's suggestion - which I didn't overly agree with. So, I'll do it again, or maybe I'll just add a few loose pages with the suggestion that the reader can choose which version they prefer. And I'll add my name on the cover, maybe even make a hardcover which I did for early versions of Londonia - buying a suitable sized old hardback book and making a mashup of the two books . . . I'll post the result.


Next up, Lulu copy of The Panto Horse End, and The Couch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment